Christ, the Light of the World

May you experience the presence of Christ, the Light of the World, everywhere, in everyone, so that hope will abound in your life and the world you live in. There is no corner of the planet where Christ is not. And may you share the light of Christ that is within you with everyone you meet, wherever you are, everyday.


Wilfredo Juan Baez

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Carpe Diem . . . Seize the Day



Carpe Diem . . . Seize the Day
Matthew 25:14-30
Rev. Dr. Wilfredo J. Baez
November 16, 2014

This is a scene from the film, “Dead Poet’s Society.”  John Keating, played by Robin Williams, is addressing his class. “'O Captain, my Captain.' Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln . . . Now let me dispel a few rumors so they don't fester into facts. Yes, I too attended Hell-ton and survived. And no, at that time I was not the mental giant you see before you. I was the intellectual equivalent of a ninety-eight pound weakling. I would go to the beach and people would kick copies of Byron in my face . . .  'Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.' The Latin term for that sentiment is Carpe Diem. Now who knows what that means? Seize the day. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Why does the writer use these lines?  Because we are food for worms.  Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day gonna stop breathing, turn cold, and die.  Now I would like you to step forward over here and peruse some of the faces from the past. You've walked past them many times. I don't think you've really looked at them. They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts, full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you. Their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen. Do you hear it? Carpe. Hear it? Carpe. Carpe Diem. Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary.

That the question of the day, “What are you doing to make your life is extraordinary?”  What are you doing to make our world better?  What are you going to be remembered for?

A survey was taken of people who are over 95. The people were asked one question. The question was: If you could live your life over again, what would you do differently? Three answers came back most frequently:
1. If I could live my life over again, I would reflect more.
2. I would risk more.
3. I would do more things that would live on after I'm dead.
What are some of the things which stop us doing these three things?  What are some of our excuses? Is anyone too old . . . too young . . . not have enough time . . . think it’s too hard?  What do we need to know or do so that we do grab the opportunities that God gives us?  Get the experience . . . make the time . . . endure?  What can we do for each other?  Encourage . . . offer your insight or skills . . .  sought clarity or atacked? What can we do for our communities and world?  Start or support a current ministry . . . take a stand . . . put our money and bodies where our hearts are? 

So what if today was judgment day?  What if Christ stood before us today and asked us to make an accounting for ourselves; for how we have lived and how we are living; for how we have raised our children; for how we have participated in the ministry of the gospel, as individual and as a church?  How would we account for ourselves?

The boss went away and he gave each of three managers some responsibility; five shares to one, two to the second, and one to the third, each according to their ability.  The one with five shares immediately traded his and made five more.  The one with two shares immediately trade his and made two more.  The third took his share and hid it by burying it.  Some time passed and the boss returned and settled accounts with his managers.  The one who was given five shares showed the boss his ten shares.  The Boss was pleased.  “You have managed well with what I gave you.  I will entrust you with even more responsibility.  Here, let me give you a hug.  The one who was given two shares presented the boss with four shares.  The Boss was pleased.  “You have managed well with what I gave you.  I will entrust you with even more responsibility.  Here, let me give you a hug.  The one who was given one share approached his Boss, “Boss, you’re quite harsh.  You reap where you don’t sow. You gather from where you don’t scatter.  I was afraid that I would displease you so I hid the one share you gave me.  Here it is back.  He was taken aback.  What, no hug? The Boss was displeased. ‘If that is what you thought of me you should have invested the one share in the bank.  I would have at least received interest.  I’ll give the one share I entrusted to you to one I gave five.  As for you, I cannot count on you.  You are fired.  For those who have accomplished something, I’ll give more.  For those who have accomplished nothing, I will give nothing more.’”

That’s one tough story that Jesus told!  Is it to say that some people are bad and God is going to send them to hell?  I don’t think so.  Is it to guilt trip us?  No!  Rather, heaven is within our reach.  We have choices about how we manage our resources, our gifts and our capacities.  We pass up opportunities to invest ourselves and resources.  We waste potential.  We pass up opportunities to invite, involve, love, forgive and reconcile.  In the end, we are left with a question:  “Was our life worthwhile or are we left with regret; what ifs?  Why didn’t I try?”  Are we left with a feeling of integrity and fulfillment?  Or are we left in despair.  It’s not so much how much you have or accomplish that matters; it’s what have you done with the little or the lot that matters.  That’s what it means to say that the boss says, “Well done good and faithful employee.  I have trusted you with certain responsibility.  Here is some more.”  Internalizing that, we are saying of ourselves, “I am satisfied with what I’ve done.  I’ve given it my best shot.  I made the most of what I have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment