Christ, the Light of the World

May you experience the presence of Christ, the Light of the World, everywhere, in everyone, so that hope will abound in your life and the world you live in. There is no corner of the planet where Christ is not. And may you share the light of Christ that is within you with everyone you meet, wherever you are, everyday.


Wilfredo Juan Baez

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Always Where Clean Underwear



Always Wear Clean Underwear . . . You Never Know
Rev. Dr. Wilfredo J.  Baez
Matthew 25:1-13

My mom was a fount of good advice.  I didn’t quite understand this one until I got older – she told me that I should – “Always wear clean underwear, you never know . . .”
When she told me this I would just look at her and roll my eyes and shake my head, “Mom!”
Have you ever done that when mom told you something; rolled your eyes and shook your head . . . or on a good day just laugh . . . after all what do moms know?

Sometimes I’d press her, “You never know what, mom?”  And she’d answer, “You might get into an accident.”  I figured that my mom just didn’t want me to embarrass her.  Can you imagine going to school as a child with dirty underwear, hoping that nobody would notice? 
I remember not getting my clothes ready the night before school day and when I looked in the drawer there were no clean underwear!  Plus I had woken up late.  The school bus would soon be there.  I went to school that day with dirty underwear!  And wouldn’t you know it . . .  somebody had wet themselves!  The teacher began an inspection, putting her nose down by every student’s desk.  The poor kid!  The teacher looked up at him and said “Come with me.”  What a relief!  When I got home that day I offered to do the laundry!  I can’t tell you how surprised my mother was!  Ever since then, I was very careful to lay out my clothes the night before so that I would have clean underwear in the morning!
And as a teenager and as an adult I learned just how important it was for me to be wearing clean underwear . . . as my mother told me . . . you never know!

You know, you never know when it is that you are going to meet somebody important to your future . . . when you are going to meet someone who is prepared to offer you an opportunity . . .

I was a high school freshman, last cut on my high school junior varsity basketball program.  I have never played organized basketball before.  One night, a family friend, Jack McGinley, head coach of the rival and national power, St. Peter’s High School was visiting in my home.  He told me “Transfer to St. Peter’s and I’ll make a basketball player out of you.”  My mother was right . . . you never know.

In college, I made use of a community crisis intervention center.  I decided to become a volunteer there and worked a regular shift.  I was diligent in my duties and made a good impression.  An opportunity presented itself to become part of the paid staff.  My mother was right . . . you never know.

Having completed my Masters degree, I moved to Ithaca, New York.  I became employed as an alcoholism counselor there.  I knew nothing from alcoholism but had completed training as a counselor.  I was offered a job.  They needed a Clinic Director.  I had impressed with my skills and work habits.  A friend was the leading candidate for the job but she declined it as she was pregnant.  I didn’t have any administrative experience and didn’t apply.  The executive director approached me and asked me to apply . . . My mother was right . . . you never know.

A friend of mine invited me to go to a brunch at a friend’s house.  I had nothing better to do, so I accepted the invitation.  She and I had been friends since college.  The house we went to was my future wife’s house, only I hadn’t been there before.  I conducted myself well in some conversations involving Marcia . . . My mother was right . . . you never know. 

Could you imagine if our scripture went like this . . . ten bridesmaids got dressed and went to meet the groom . . . Five of them were foolish and five were wise . . . The foolish failed to pack any change of underwear, but the wise ones brought changes of underwear . . . the groom was delayed . . . the foolish said to the wise, “Our undergarments are dirty . . . Give us some of yours . . . the wise ones said there are no laundry facilities here and we don’t know how long the groom will be delayed . . . I am sorry, we need to make sure we have clean underwear . . . the foolish ones ran out to the store to buy some new underwear . . . While they were gone the groom arrived . . . the bridesmaids arose, dressed and went out to meet the groom, confident of their clean underwear . . . He was so happy to see who eager they were to get on with the wedding! . . .  When the foolish bridesmaids returned with their new underwear in hand they found the door to the wedding banquet . . . They cried out “Brides Groom, let us in, we are ready!”  The groom responded . . . “The banquet has already begun . . . Did you not expect my arrival? . . . Were you not aware of the day and the time? . . .  You were not where you should be awaiting my arrival . . . Didn’t your mothers warn you? . . . “Always wear clean underwear! . . . You never know!”

No comments:

Post a Comment